Monday, February 25, 2013



Monogrammed Pumpkins
 
I LOVE Halloween. Seriously.  I don't know what it is about the holiday but I adore the pumpkins, cauldrons, witches, spiders and everything ghoulish about it!  We usually throw a huge Halloween party every year and I spend weeks decorating our home.  This year, with a new baby, I decided to use a sprinkling of decorations around the house and try a simply chic approach.  I searched Pinterest during one of baby's feedings and found a terrific inspiration.  http://radiobutlers.blogspot.com/2011/10/monogram-pumpkin-tutorial.html

 
This tutorial was fantastic but time consuming.  I wanted to make this craft simple and chic.  I visited my local Michael's Arts and Crafts store with my handy 40% coupon and found cream foam pumpkins.  This would eliminate the need for spray painting since I wanted a cream pumpkin with black lettering. 
 
My sister and her husband recently purchased a new home. So I decided to try out my plan for a monogrammed pumpkin as a housewarming gift for them.  If it failed miserably then they would never have to know! 
 
Materials: craft pumpkin, black craft paint, pencil, scissors, small paintbrush, tape, a computer with word program, and a printer.
 
1.  Wipe the pumpkin off and find a spot that is fairly flat and blemish free.
 
2.  On the computer, print out the letter of choice in a font and size that will fit your pumpkin.  This may take a bit of trial and error. 
 
3.  Next, cut out the giant letter and tape it directly to your pumpkin.  Try to use just a few pieces of tape because we will be tracing around the letter.
 
4.  Trace around the letter with a pencil.  Remove the letter and tape pieces. 
 
5.  Use a paintbrush and craft paint (in the the color of your choice) to fill in the letter.  You may need two coats.
 
6.  I loved the simplicity of this look but decided to add some pizazz!  I free handed a spider based on
another Pinterest design.  http://www.oopseydaisyblog.com/2011/09/black-and-white-pumpkins-2 -tutorials.html.  To do this, I just used the rounded end of my paintbrush and created the spider using a series of dots.
 
 
The original pumpkin created as a gift for my sister.

I loved the way the first one turned out, that I made one for my mom too! 


3 comments:

  1. You could even use those push pin jewels to make the spiders. These are really cute!! Great Job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Brittanie! The Pinterest design for the spider used a jeweled sticker. So many clever craft uses for those pumpkins!

      Delete
    2. Great idea Brittanie! The Pinterest design for the spider used a jeweled sticker. So many clever craft uses for those pumpkins!

      Delete