Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Obsessing Over Initials

I have been completely sucked into the monogram and/or initial craze that seems to be splattered over every catalog.  Our names plastered in various colors and styles in every single room shown in top notch style magazines.  I totally bought into it. 

We have this weird wall just above our hall closet in our entry way.  For years I have had a picture of Paris leaning up against the wall (remember that craze?) and a large Eiffel Tower sitting on the ledge.  My niece recently redid her bedroom and I decided it was a win-win to gift her the Paris items and redo our entry ledge and wall with said initials. 

The before :(.  Notice my husband perched up on the high ledge trying to be patient while I snap a before picture!


So I started by moving a large vase and greenery that I once had in our living room and placed it off center on the ledge.  This area needed something grand to help anchor the space and draw your eye up. By putting it off center it won't interfere with the beauty of all those glorious initials! Next, I added some lights from IKEA on a timer that will act as uplights.  These are actually under cabinet lighting but what not use them this way?

Now to gather the letters!  I found several at Hobby Lobby and using my handy 40% coupon began the collection.  Letters weren't going to be enough.  The wall needed something else to help it take shape---hmmm, shape---it needed squares!  I found the gold frame at an online garage sale website for $4 (crazy amazing, right?) and then I purchased the red frame from Hobby Lobby.  We have that same deep red in our kitchen and living room so this frame would help tie the spaces all together.  I had enough 3D R's so I decided to put black posterboard in the frame and add an R in gray vinyl to the glass.  I think the key to gathering like items is in making sure they are different enough to make it interesting.  Different textures, colors, or fonts helped to make this grouping worthwhile.

Before we were ready to hang them though, I laid the letters onto the floor and decided the arrangement.  I didn't want it to be too perfect and I was willing to get more R's if needed or ditch any if it didn't work out.  Be bold and give it a try!

Big thanks to my husband for teetering on the ledge to adhere all the letters.  I really love the way it turned out!

Our finished entry initial wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment